Cheryl is an experienced labor and employment attorney handling matters including the defense of state and federal discrimination claims, workplace and sexual harassment charges, wrongful discharge, ADA and ADEA claims, wage and hour issues, FMLA disputes, employment contracts, restrictive covenant agreements, general contract claims, employment-related, and other business tort claims.
She represents clients from a broad range of business industries including non-profits, medical practices and religious institutions throughout the federal, state, and local court system and administrative agencies. Representing government contractors in employment matters; Cheryl has successfully handled Department of Labor, OFCCP, OSHA and other federal agency investigations and subsequent charges related to I-9s, EEO compliance and FLSA wage and hour issues under the Service Contract Act.
Cheryl provides ongoing employment advice, strategies, seminars and training to companies to implement and develop effective employment policies and procedures and create positive work environments. She assists clients with investigations resulting from allegations of harassment, and termination of the employment relationship, including mass layoffs. She also regularly advises clients on the design, implementation, and regular reviews of employee handbooks, policies, and procedures.
In her spare time, she enjoys playing tennis, skiing, reading books and spending time with her family.
Areas of Focus
- Religious Organizations
- Employment Agreements, Non-Competition & Severance Agreements
- Employment Audits
- Employment Discipline & Discharge
- Employment Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Employee Classifications/Independent Contractor
- Employee Policies & Procedures
- Human Resources Compliance Counseling
- FMLA & ADA
- Government Contracting
- SHRM Provider Certified Management & Employee Training
- Wage & Hour Compliance & Litigation
- Workplace Investigations
- Maryland SHRM State Council, past State Government Affairs Chair, (2017-2020)
- Howard County Chamber, Board of Directors & Co-Chair Legislative Committee
- Howard County HR Society, Board member & Legislative Chair
- Maryland Chamber, Legislative Committee
- Howard County Women’s Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association, Employment Law section
- Emory University, B.A., Political Science
- Widener University School of Law, J.D.
- New Jersey
- Howard County Chamber, Business Advocate of the Year (2016)